Friday, April 11, 2008

cake in a jar


ok, so i saw this post here, and have been wanting to try this for a while now. and i wanted to send my friend cindy some cake she likes for her birthday (the poppyseed cake - the poppyseed + extra glaze) and my friend jessica came over to bake, and we came up with this version of cake in a jar.

these are my notes. i would make them in smaller jars cause it's easier to get out. and these might be better for an "in-person" gift because i ended up having to cut off the top which is the cutest part and these suckers are sorta expensive to mail. and you can give the person a few, rather than just mailing one big heavy one. it's a cute idea, but i don't know if i'd do it again. but you never know, i could get inspired and try it again. just how i haven't mastered éclairs yet but i swear i will one day...

6 comments:

Miggy said...

Very cute. These remind me of this restaurant in Denver that baked their bread if flower pots. It was cute and each person would get their own flower pot of bread.

Carrie S said...

sweet!

f*bomb. said...

wha-whaaat?

So, to get it out, do I just smash the jar against the counter and pick away the remnants? Because you know my One True Fear is broken glass, and that combination of cake+poppysee+extra glaze (yum)+broken glass would be like THE cruelest joke ever...
I like the idea of it coming in galvanized tin. Go with tin. Not glass. Glass has too many variables that could result in scaryness.

carolinesbakeshop said...

no, if you flour and coat it right, it's supposed to slide right out (my test jar did. you just sorta tap on it and it comes out). but yes, broken glass would sort of ruin the whole nice cake gift idea. it's like "happy birthday, i hope you cut yourself!"

not so nice.

f*bomb. said...

I think we just found the dessert of choice for our gangwars.

Dim Sum Lum said...

My birthday present! I think I liked it in loaf form better because the glaze was more evenly distributed, which raised the level of perfection. So good.