Tuesday, August 30, 2011

whole wheat chocolate chip cookies


I stumbled upon this recipe the other day and had to try it. I love chocolate chip cookies of all kinds, but I haven't seen a whole wheat recipe before. So, for you (and mostly for me) I decided to try it. And I'm glad I did. I adjusted it a bit from the recipe on Butteredup, I made my cookies smaller and just used semi-sweet chips (cause I'm lazy), but I was super happy with the result. 

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
Seen on Butteredup adapted from Good to the Grain by Kim Boyce via Orangette

Ingredients: 
3 cups whole wheat flour 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1 ½ teaspoon sea salt 
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar 
1 cup sugar 
2 large eggs 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
8 semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preparation: 
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl, and whisk to blend. 

2. Put the butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With the mixer on low speed, mix just until the butter and sugars are blended, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the bowl, and blend on low speed until the flour is just incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the chocolate, and mix on low speed until evenly combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, and then use your hands to turn and gently massage the dough, making sure all the flour is absorbed. Chill dough for at least 12 hours. 

3. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven, and preheat to 350°F. Grease or line two baking sheets with parchment or silpats.

4. Scoop cookie dough onto cookie sheet. (I used a medium cookie scoop to get the size I wanted).   

5. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until somewhat cracked and browned.

No comments: