Saturday, December 29, 2007

poppyseed bread

i made some homemade goodies for a few gifts this year. one of them being this poppyseed bread. i'd like to thank my oldest sister for being hot enough to have a suitor have his mom make this bread and send it to her with the recipe... cause this bread is amazing.
it has a delicious glaze to make the edges crispy, sweet and mouthwatering.

here is the recipe.

3 cups flour
2 ½ cup sugar
1 ½ t. salt
1 ½ t. baking powder
3 eggs
1 ½ cup milk
1 1/8 cup oil
1 ½ T. poppy seeds
1 ½ t. vanilla
1 ½ t. almond extract
1 ½ t. butter flavoring

Mix together and beat 2 minutes. Bake in 2 large loaf pans (greased) at 350 for 1 hour. As soon as out of oven, pour glaze over bread after poking a few holes in bread with toothpick. Be careful to brush it on slowly so that it can be absorbed.

¾ cup sugar
¼ cup orange juice
½ t. vanilla
½ t. almond extract
½ t. butter flavoring

Take out of pans when cooled.



3 comments:

Fig said...

Hey Caroline, can I just say thank you for this awesome awesome site? If there's anything I love to do (almost) as much as bake, it's look at pictures/recipes of other people's baking. This stuff all looks amazing and I can't wait to try some of your recipes. And I needed a good recipe for poppyseed bread.

Thanks!

P.S. If I have already commented on one of your older recipes and said this exact same thing (because I've been thinking about doing it for awhile), I'm really sorry. I have short-term memory loss plus long-term memory loss plus slight retardation and too much laziness to go back through all your posts and check for my comments.

Fig said...

P.S. How are you not fat?

Do you give all your stuff away?

My spousal unit doesn't like sweets, so I eat everything I bake almost wholly myself. Not good.

k tron said...

i'm so glad you posted this recipe. I have been dreaming about this cake since stacy's birthday.